Here's an update for everyone on nearly everything we've been doing:
Home Improvements: Late last week, CJ finished up the floors and trim in the living room, and I love it. Everyone keeps asking us what's next, but really, we just have little projects now. I need to fill in nail holes in the trim, and finish painting the doors. I think there are a few places where CJ wants to redo the trim. He still needs to replace the outdoor lights and install our programmable thermostat, but that's really all we have planned.
Garden: Our garden is starting to look really nice. I spent more than three hours in it last Saturday weeding, and it looks like I need to go back out there and spend some time this afternoon plucking out even more. We have some really good looking tomatoes. Our green beans are getting eaten up by bugs, so I need to spray those this afternoon. (I may be into saving our coffee grounds and egg shells for compost, but that's about as organic as I'll get.) The jury is still out on our pepper plants.
Softball: Canceled this week due to rain. CJ won't be able to play next week because of work, but there is a make-up game next Friday, which bumped date night out of the way.
Work: Going just fine for both of us, so nothing new to report.
CJ's newest woodworking project: Adirondack chairs! He finished one last night (also sent a nail shooting through his finger too). I think he plans to make the other one today, and maybe make a little table we can put out back too. Then I'll have to paint them.
Books: Since I devoted an entire post to books, I wanted to follow up on that, in case anyone actually relied on my recommendations. I gave up on Firefly Lane, Percy Jackson, and What's Submission Got to Do With It?. I started The Secret Life of Bees, but had to return it before I could really get into it (so I bought it on amazon used for a penny). CJ read Inkheart and said it was just okay, so I didn't even bother. We haven't touched Tony Dungy's book yet, and CJ is reading Edgar Sawtelle at the moment. The one book I did finish was Nickel and Dimed, which was interesting, although it certainly didn't solve any problems related to poverty or affordable housing or low wages. I broke down and bought Naked Economics, which I'm loving, and I'm also starting to read (again) Reading Lolita in Tehran. I also checked out Welcome to Obamaland: I've Seen Your Future and It Doesn't Work, but CJ took that one first. And I still have Modoc to read -- that's the one with the cute picture of an elephant on the cover.
What's up for the rest of summer: June is already booked, so I apologize now for not being able to see anyone unless you're already scheduled in. We're going camping with our small group here in a few weeks. The next weekend, we have a wedding, and then CJ will be riding in the N.I.T.E. Ride (20 mile night ride through Indianapolis). We're planning a short vacation for July, but we have absolutely no idea where we're going. It's also my goal to get that booked today.
I hope all is well for everyone!
6.06.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment