5.28.2009

play ball!

It's softball season again.

And no, I won't be playing this year.

I had one good run. Literally. For those of you who haven't known me for awhile, or for those of you who just want to relive a good story, I played softball for two seasons with a group from my church. I was lucky to get a hit, and if I got a hit, I was pretty darn lucky if it got six inches from home plate. My one good run was our next to the last game of the second season I played, and it was during the tournament. I somehow managed to hit the ball -- at least past the pitcher -- and then run to first base, where the ball was overthrown, allowing me to get to second base. At second base, the ball was overthrown again, and it was overthrown again when I reached third base, at which point I was allowed to walk home because of some fluke rule.

We went on to win that game and the next game afterwards, capturing the league title. Those wins in the tournament were our only wins of the season, actually.

And then I retired.

But, CJ likes playing softball, so he plays on the men's team on Wednesday nights. Because of rain outs and his work schedule, last night's game was the first we were able to attend. And if I may brag on my husband a bit, CJ made the last hit, the one that helped the guys win the game.

So on Wednesday nights, think of us ... CJ out on the field and me, swatting away mosquitoes and reliving memories of that one great season.

No comments: