6.22.2009

mrs. outdoorsy

CJ and I spent part of the weekend camping at Turkey Run State Park with our small group. I'm not exactly Mrs. Outdoorsy, although I think CJ's trying to move me in that direction. I think I'd like it a lot more if it wasn't 90 degrees with like 100% humidity, and if we wouldn't have to sleep in a hot, un-air conditioned tent.

Since CJ had to work Friday, we missed the thunderstorms (and the opportunity to sit in the camp bathrooms as half of our small group did). Saturday afternoon we went on a short hike in the park and then spent the evening playing hillbilly golf and corn hole.


The Punch Bowl


Beau, CJ, Jon & Brad


Chelynne, Susie, me, & Julie


CJ, the tree climber

The area received too much rain the previous week, so we couldn't go canoeing down Sugar Creek on Saturday, but we could on Sunday. They said the creek was 3' above flood stage. I guess I don't fully understand how that works, because the creek was by no means over the banks. I've canoed down that creek numerous times, and with the exception of one time, I've always made the fifteen mile trip, which usually takes six hours minimum to complete. We finished yesterday in a little over three hours.


While canoeing, we saw two bald eagles and their giant nest. I managed to snap a picture of one. It's nearly hidden, but if you look at the tree to the top middle/right, it's sitting in a branch.

In the end, CJ and I compromised. We both like hiking (although he enjoys it more than I) and we'd like to visit more state parks, but as a general rule, they will only be day trips or trips where we rent a room at the local Holiday Inn afterwards.

No comments: