I learned an important lesson about sewing this week: Fabric weights do matter.
I was moving along quite nicely with the quilt, ready to piece the entire top together. I found some really soft blue fabric to put in between the patterned pieces. What's not great about super soft fabric, especially for a baby quilt?
If you look past the crummy photo quality, you'll see that that blue strip in the middle has pulled at the seams. I tried one more strip to see if it'd be any different and it wasn't. Normally, I'd just keep sewing. (Kind of reminds me of Dory in that fish movie -- what's it called? -- "Just keep sewing, just keep sewing!") But, I do want to do this right and have a sneaky feeling that once I try to quilt it -- which I've never, ever tried to do before -- it's just going to look worse.
So I'll be spending some time ripping out these seams, but I suppose it'll save me time in the long haul. Bummer.
Any other experienced sewers out there? Any advice or helpful tips?
(Oh, and P.S. -- Inspiration for the quilt can be found here.)
9.16.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment