9.02.2011

faq

My most frequently asked question anymore is what I do with my time now that I'm not in school.

The short answer is that I don't know.

The long answer?

On a typical night, I tend to wander aimlessly around the house.  I can't quite stay focused on one thing for more than a half hour.  I dabble with a sewing project.  I might get on the treadmill.  I might sit at the computer all night, not doing a whole lot of anything.  I might pick up something around the house.

In short, there's no rhyme or reason.  Honestly, I'm not sure whether to be bothered by this or just be thankful and accept it as my reward for all the stress I've been under for the past two years.  Some other friends who have completed their master's degrees and worked full-time have assured me that this is normal and that I'll begin to find my routine again.  Fingers crossed.

This week, though, I spent the week being sick (sinus infection + some weird stomach bug).  I even had to adjust to that this week.  In the past two years, whenever I got sick, it sent me into a panic.  There was no time to be sick.  No time at work, no time at school.  There was a string of three consecutive classes where I got sick the last week of class.  I squeaked by Statistics - literally about ready to lose my voice that night and then it was entirely gone the next morning.

But this time?  I can enjoy being sick -- as much as one can enjoy being sick.  Yes, I'd really like it if my headache would go away and if my stomach would settle down, but I don't have to finish complicated economics problems or type up a coherent paper.  I can just sit on the couch, nap, and watch tv -- in other words, I finally get to be a normal sick person again.

Best close down, get back to that couch, and start thinking about everything I need to start Lysol-ing.

No comments: