7.28.2010

goodbye, topsy turvy.


The Topsy Turvy is done.  It hit the compost bin on Saturday.  The Topsy Turvy's tomatoes ripened first, but the very first one rotted the very next day after it ripened.  The ones that followed were disgusting.  They were the size of cherry tomatoes, but tasted like regular tomatoes (like they were supposed to be).  The end result was just gross.  We're giving the Topsy Turvy shell to my dad to use next year, because he thinks he can do better.  Good luck, Dad.

After I complained for weeks of our large green bean plants that were blooming, but not sprouting anything, we discovered that it had, in fact, sprouted several green beans.  You'd hardly see them amidst this hot mess:


Yeah, that's what our green beans looked like.  It was a total mistake buying string green beans.  I wish we'd realized it sooner so we could have uprooted them and planted real green beans.  I picked some this week, but they too were absolutely disgusting.  I cooked them and then took one bite and spit them back out.  The vines started to wind themselves around our tomato and pepper plants.  And it just looks ugly.  So I'm starting to rip those out and put them in the compost bin with the Topsy Turvy.

In other news, our compost bin is actually working!  I said this with surprise to CJ, at which he responded, "What did you think was going to happen?"  I think I thought it would just take longer to see results, but the more we've added, the better it's done.  At least one thing went right in the garden this year!

(Disclaimer:   No one paid us to talk about the Topsy Turvy.) 

No comments: