9.05.2009

labor day weekend, update 1

Thank goodness for long weekends -- especially for long weekends when CJ only has to work one out of the four days!

I don't even know where to begin for our update, so this will probably be disjointed.

Classes are going well for both of us. CJ's classes just require a lot of reading. And he's still going round and round with financial aid between ISU and this online school where he's taking his one last class. For me, I feel like grad school finally hit in week three -- at least for the amount of work we've been given. We were given our mid-term paper topic last week -- if there is an education inflation and if the MBA is the new high school diploma. Given Indiana's dismal graduation rates at all levels, I'm arguing no on this one. Either way, I've got some research to do. And, I also now have to learn APA style, which is annoying at best. (Clearly Chicago style is superior, so I don't know why we all can't just use that.)

To kick off Labor Day weekend, we had our Date Night last night -- out to Buca's and to see Up at the cheap, janky movie theater. Good times. We recommend Up if you haven't seen it yet (even better when it's $4 for two people).

Henry had his last puppy vet visit yesterday -- or so we think. The vet told CJ that he looks more like a german shepherd each time she sees him. He only gained about 7 pounds since his last visit about three weeks ago, so we're up to 35 pounds now. I guess on one hand she said she thought he'd top out at 50 pounds, and then I guess a little bit after that, she made a comment like, "Well, when you've got a 70-80 pound german shepherd..." The vet called this morning (her usual follow-up call with test results) and said that he has whipworm now. Seriously? This dog has had every type of worm there is, and we can't figure out why. Puppies are notorious for playing with poop -- theirs or anyone's, quite frankly -- which is absolutely disgusting and an unacceptable toy. The vet thinks he's probably picked it up from the environment, somehow. On walks, he usually keeps his nose to the ground, sniffing everything (the german shepherd coming out in him), so I'm guessing that's how he picked it up?? Ugh. I also feel bad because he's been very picky with food lately -- only eating a little bit, going off to play, coming back later to eat more, etc. The vet suggested that we only give him a certain amount of time to eat, and if he doesn't eat, then the food goes away and then he doesn't get to eat until later. She said it wouldn't take long for him to realize that he has to do it on our timetable. So I don't know whether he hasn't been eating because he hasn't felt well or if this is just a stage.

And as for Bridget, she's about the same. We haven't had any incidents lately where she has spit in Henry's face, so I guess all is good on that front.

My coffee's done, I have emails and DVR-ed shows to catch up on, plus our house is a wreck and the dog could use a bath, so I should probably close up for now. More updates later, since I have time this weekend.

No comments: