9.21.2009

human training, part 2

It's probably not the best sign that the instructor remembered Henry's name at the very beginning, is it? Or maybe I'll just tell myself that it's because he has such a cute, memorable name...

Anyway, tonight was the 2nd night of dog obedience class. By this week, Henry should have been better about walking with us, not pulling us (me mostly). And he should have mastered sit, stand, and lay down. We're still working on stand. I don't know why he has a problem with it.

Tonight, we tried to teach Henry how to heel and to stay. I can tell stay will take awhile, but by next week, we're supposed to be able to walk in circles around Henry with him staying put. Soooo, I guess we have our work cut out for us.

At the end, one of the trainers asked us about Henry's biting, mouthing, whatever you want to call it. She asked if he just bit me or both of us -- which, of course, it's just me. Part of the problem is definitely that I don't have a lot of patience and get frustrated with him easily. I mentioned CJ's work schedule, and the instructor said part of it could be that he misses CJ when he's not around (which is true -- sometimes he'll carry a toy, room to room, whining and looking lost, even though I'm right there). She also thought the other part is that Henry likely recognizes CJ as the alpha male, and that when CJ is gone, Henry assumes he can take over that role. So, she told me I need to be more authoritative with him, especially when he starts to bite.

That's it for night #2 -- went much better this time around, thank goodness!

No comments: