12.06.2008

it pours

Did anyone ever read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day in elementary school? That book pretty much describes my week.

Monday, I received my property tax bill. It was incorrect, twice the amount I anticipated, and due nine days before Christmas. The cover letter assured me all problems would be corrected in the reconciliation bill, plus the fall 2007 bill, that I will receive sometime in "spring" 2009. Considering I just got the bill for spring 2007 over six months late, I won't be holding my breath for next spring. But seriously, Merry Christmas, taxpayers.

Wednesday, I got rear ended on my way home from work. Until you got up close, my jeep really looked unharmed, but there were still $2,700 worth of damages.

On Thursday, CJ cleaned out his aquarium and by the time I got home, most of our fifteen or so fish were dead. As of last night, there might be three fish left. There's a small yellow one hanging on for dear life. Occasionally he'll swim around, but mostly he stays towards the bottom. We think the mudsucker is still alive, but we haven't seen him for a few days (but that's normal). Our biggest fish, this yellow and black striped one, should have survived the whole ordeal, as he could have swallowed any one of the other fish in one gulp. Instead, our crayfish, which is holed up in the castle, has been feasting on him for over a day now. So, not devastating, but indicative of my week.

And then on Friday -- and this is what sent me over the edge -- I drove into the parking lot at work, and the gate, which is supposed to have a sensor so it doesn't shut down on anyone -- came down on my rental car, leaving eight white spots on the driver's side door.

After spending a good part of Friday morning in tears over the whole week, I came home early and slept all afternoon. CJ took me out to eat at Stir Crazy, one of our favorite restaurants, I bought The Tales of Beedle the Bard, and then we went to see Role Models.

Everything seems much better this morning, and I'm reminded that God is still good. Luckily, I can pay for my property taxes out of my escrow account, but I may run into problems whenever the next bill comes (at least it won't be mere weeks before Christmas and my wedding though). No one was injured in the accident, the guy who hit me was honest, and his insurance company has actually been really good to work with. And even better yet, CJ got those spots off of the rental car, so that's one less thing I have to worry about. And the fish...well, I don't know what good is going to come out of that.

Back to bed now.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Awwww.. Molly, I'm sorry. Weeks like that are so annoying. Today is the one-year anniversary of my comparably awful car-wreck of a day. Also happen[s/ed] to be Pearl Harbor day. Will always live in infamy. Now you have like "the advent of Pearl Harbor"... a whole week of anticipatory bad events.

:)

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Sorry to hear about all the drama!

As for the fish, at least you've got one happy crayfish living in your house right now.

Christy