3.10.2010

the taxman

A few weeks ago, CJ and I took our taxes in for someone else to do.  I'd never done this before, simply because I consider myself to be a pretty smart cookie.  During my first few years of working, my aunt prepared my taxes for me, but at some point probably around college, I've just done my own.  Things are great if you use the EZ form.  Anything past that?  I end up frustrated.  My health savings account has been the culprit these past few years.  But, it gets done.  Judging by my load of school work, plus just trying to make sure our house doesn't, you know, get consumed by that giant pile of laundry that's ever present, CJ suggested we pay someone else to do them this year.

Best money we've spent in a long time.

We highly recommend having someone else mess with it.  Seriously.  It's worth the money.  We left the office almost two hours later.  I had a smile on my face.  Part of it was because we got a decent return back (a far cry from the $2,600 CJ owed last year -- yikes), but most of it was because I only had to sit there, present papers, answer some questions, and sign at the end.  And, we were able to take a lot of deductions -- more than I knew we could take.  We'll be doing some serious documenting this year to make sure we really maximize our return next year.

Who knew doing taxes would be this fun?

No comments: