4.26.2009

taking a break, sort of

After spending two straight weeks working on our house -- replacing floors, dealing with all of the drama with the trim, installing and painting new doors, redoing the guest bathroom (including new floors there too) -- I think we decided we'd had it for awhile and needed to take a break. Well, I had already decided that for myself, and I'm glad CJ got to that point too. This week was so nice. CJ spent his days off relaxing, and then I'd come home from work, we'd have dinner, and then we'd spend the rest of the night relaxing.

Yesterday was our big day out, though, and I'm feeling it a little this morning. We started off at the firefighters' conference downtown. It's the third largest conference we have in Indianapolis, and I can tell why. We walked from the Statehouse (I refuse to pay to park downtown when we can park for free and walk) to the convention center, over to Lucas Oil, which was packed with various apparatus and exhibits, back over to the convention center which was overflowing with more exhibits and apparatus. CJ was like a kid in a candy store though, and he loaded up on some firefighter things. His argument was that we can write them off as a tax deduction. It's not like I can put up much of a fight where extra firefighting tools are concerned though, since the whole idea is to make him more safe.

After that, we went to the Stutz Artists Association open house. We didn't come home with any new art, although there was an artist whose work CJ and I both liked -- which is rare. I may have to hunt her down later.

After spending a little bit of time at home, which mostly included us staring at each other and saying things like, "I'm bored" or "You're not entertaining me very well," we ended up at Lowe's (where I swore I'd never visit again) to buy new garden supplies and several tomato plants. Then we spent until 10:00 last night working outside, me in the front tearing out dead flowers around the mailbox and planting new ones, and CJ in the back planting tomatoes. We also got some peppers and some romaine lettuce planted last night. In addition to that, we're also going to plant onions, scallions, cucumbers, cabbage, zucchini, rhubarb, carrots, and green beans. It's quite the ambitious plan we have, especially considering the amount of space available, and the fact that there are only two of us.

No comments: